Wednesday, July 3, 2013

America's next voiceover star?

Wouldn't it be cool to be this guy?



After attending a class through Souderton Area Community Education this spring, I learned that there's a lot of everyday people making money being voiceover talent, whether it's telephone on-hold messages, company training videos, GPS voices, commercials, animation, etc.
The instructor for the class, who is now my voiceover coach, was Tom Force from the Vermont-based company Such A Voice, who was a long-time Detroit radio personality.
 To my surprise, two area musicians, whose band names I recognized, were also in the class -- none other than Chris of LD-50, which recently changed its name, probably to not be confused with a metal band of the same name, and Doug from All Worn Out.
Not sure if they decided to try the voiceover thing, but it was cool seeing them at a community education class, and observing how interested the other people in the class were in  Chris and Doug's latest musical projects
Since then, I've discovered that this voiceover thing requires a lot of time and a lot of money to get into. I swear, every week I have to reassure my wife that I'm not doing this just to get away from her.
So how'd you like a cartoon character voicemail message for your phone? I can do that real cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment